Hódító / Queosia forum

Hódító / Queosia forum (http://forum.hodito.hu/index.php)
-   Other (http://forum.hodito.hu/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Your nationality? (http://forum.hodito.hu/showthread.php?t=783)

Remedy 12-02-2006 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammi (Post 49304)
You'll be surprised that I'm fluent in english, as I've been studying in England for 4 years, and now I'm studying in Switzerland.
But if you don't believe me just look up in a dictionary:)
In english, as well as in any other language words can have different meanings? Just think before you speak:) I believe you are good in english therefore you think you're the best, but maybe you can make mistkes as well:P

Well, at least there is a conversation :)

Actually, i just asked some friends of mine, and they are english. And they said i was right. (phew!) So i don't really need a dic. :P Study better!

Viz 12-02-2006 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remedy (Post 49315)

Actually, i just asked some friends of mine, and they are english. And they said i was right. (phew!) So i don't really need a dic. :P Study better!

And what did they exactly say to you?:)
I'm not saying you're not right it has different meaning, I'm just trying to say it also means 'pfúj or fúj'.
And don't tell me to study better, I know english, and I don't have to study it.
I'm just like a native speaker.

Remedy 12-04-2006 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammi (Post 49327)
And what did they exactly say to you?:)
I'm not saying you're not right it has different meaning, I'm just trying to say it also means 'pfúj or fúj'.
And don't tell me to study better, I know english, and I don't have to study it.
I'm just like a native speaker.

Hmm, i'm not sure about your last sentence.

Just for clarification: We(hungarians) say "fúj" when feeling disgust.

You are you saying that you say "phew" when you feel disgust?

If you do, then i disagree. That was my whole point.

Viz 12-04-2006 10:45

I'm not telling that you're not right, phew is a good word to express your relief, but it's like, for example when someone comes into your room and you're hiding, he leaves without noticing you, you say 'phew'. But literary it means "fúj" as well.
I'm sure, that here it was used for something like Wow, or nice, which of course has quite different meanings. Spoken english is pretty much different, but words have quite a lot meanings.
Hence I don't use phew to express my disgust. I'm just trying to say, that phew has more meanings than just an exclamation of relief. It depends on the situation where you use it. Anyway, the way Senki used it was wrong, but still, in different situations it can mean different things.
That's it.

Viz 12-04-2006 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remedy (Post 49315)

And if i want to be punctilious than you can't eay study better, you say 'study harder'.

Edit: (study better is to improve the level of how you study, and study harder, is to learn more)

Remedy 12-04-2006 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammi (Post 50287)
I'm not telling that you're not right, phew is a good word to express your relief, but it's like, for example when someone comes into your room and you're hiding, he leaves without noticing you, you say 'phew'. But literary it means "fúj" as well.
I'm sure, that here it was used for something like Wow, or nice, which of course has quite different meanings. Spoken english is pretty much different, but words have quite a lot meanings.
Hence I don't use phew to express my disgust. I'm just trying to say, that phew has more meanings than just an exclamation of relief. It depends on the situation where you use it. Anyway, the way Senki used it was wrong, but still, in different situations it can mean different things.
That's it.

So, technically you said, i was right. Thank you. :P

Viz 12-04-2006 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remedy (Post 50298)
So, technically you said, i was right. Thank you. :P

No, because i never said that's wrong, i said, that phew can mean 'fúj' what you seemed to disagree. But technically, all the other things you said were right:)

Steve 12-04-2006 11:15

Is this forum about the nationality of the players or about lenguistic debates between Remy and Hammi? You'd better argue in private;)

Viz 12-04-2006 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 50301)
Is this forum about the nationality of the players or about lenguistic debates between Remy and Hammi? You'd better argue in private;)

You may be right:)

Remedy 12-04-2006 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 50301)

At least something is happening here :)